Sold Under Sin! (The Lie of Rom7)


For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! Rom7:14-25

In this Passage of Scripture, Paul is speaking of a person (or himself) in an ‘UN-REGENERATE’ State, ‘Sold Under Sin.’ It by NO MEANS is depicting a Redeemed Christian Set Free from sin! The entire Context of Romans 7 begins, ‘For I speak to those who KNOW the Law!’ The illustration and the illusion are speaking to someone UNDER the Law. Therefore ‘SOLD’ into Bondage denotes in Translation, someone Sold into a ‘State of bondage’ to which a Roman Slave was Sold into as Merchandise.
(That is the illusion Paul is drawing here! )

NO WHERE in Scripture is a Christians said to be SOLD into Bondage, but the VERY Opposite is True.
He is SET FREE from Bondage by the Lord Jesus Christ! Redeemed from that Bondage of sin and death through Repentance and Faith! (John8:31-32)  ‘Who the Son sets free is free INDEED!’

The Law is by no means Abolished to those set free in Christ. It is ESTABLISHED, UPHELD by Faith! (Rom3:31) ‘The law is holy and the commandment holy and just and good!’ It MUST be Upheld. Faith meets the criteria because it TURNS on an Obedient heart of Love toward God. (Rom6:16-17) Having originated from godly sorrow for sin, Repentance that involved Zeal, Clearing and Vindication, it Circumcises the heart, (Col2:11) and PURIFIES the Soul of sin. It is THEN Credited to you as Righteousness, (Rom4:19-22) and Establishes the Righteous Requirements of the Law! (Rom8:1-4)

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. Rom8:1-4

HOW could someone Living in bondage to a ‘sin nature’ (sold out to it!) WALK in the Righteous Requirements of the Law? The ONLY way the ‘sin everyday’ teaching makes any sense at all is if Christ Fulfills the Law for us, BUT the Rom 8 Passage says the VERY OPPOSITE! ‘The Righteous Requirements of the Law are FULFILLED IN US!’ It Couldn’t be more Clear. IF you have Come to Christ through a Genuine Repentance and Faith WORKING by Love, Cleansing and Purifying your heart of sin, this will HOLD True! (However, if you have merely ‘accepted’ Jesus as your personal Savior and came to Him in your sins, the Bondage remains.)

Further evidence is found in verse 23 of Romans 7, where Paul uses another Very powerful illustration in the Word, ‘Captivity’. Here he is eluding to a city reduced by a storming army, who had laid Siege to the inhabitance, reduced them to starvation, launched their attack and carried off the survivors into an irresistible Captivity. The Word he uses is the EXACT same word Christ used to Describe the final ruin of the Jews under Roman dominance. When they would be carried away into captivity and their nation trampled by the Gentiles.   
 
The ‘Wretched man’ he refers to in Verse 24, ‘O wretched man that I am!”  Is another illustration portraying what happens to the Roman Prisoners taken into bondage after the Siege. It was a custom among tyrants in those days to Chain the survivors to a Rotting Corpse from the battlefield and force him to carry the dead body about until he also died a slow and miserable death!

AGAIN, HOW this could Possibly be describing a ‘Christian’ is BEYOND Reason! But the Preachers love to use this passage of Scripture to excuse their own sin and the sins of the people who they have lead to Christ WITHOUT a Repentance of Clearing, Zeal and Purity of heart! (2Cor7:10-11)

 Paul is NOT Condoning sin, neither is he the ‘Chief of sinners!’ (1Tim1:15) as MANY insist. He is speaking here also of ‘FORMER’ times. Better stated: “Who was in former times, the Chief among sinners!’ Examine the Greek Tense for yourself. The English has it reversed. Sin was NEVER the foregone conclusion in Paul’s life! This same passage in the very next verse, states that his LIFE and Steadfastness were a PATTERN to all believers! HOW could he hold himself up as an Example to the Church if he was daily violating his conscience in thought, word and deed? (as all the preachers claim)

On numerous occasions Paul sighted his conduct as a Pattern for others to follow. (1Cor11:1, 1Thess2:10, Acts24:16, 2Tim3:10-12.) NEVER did he condone sinful behavior or ‘imply’ that ‘Christians’ sin all the time because they are not perfect! Those who belong to Christ Jesus have ALREADY Crucified the flesh with its passions and desires! (Gal5:24) Paul said. NOT Gradually, by process, sometime in the distant future if you ‘feel’ like it! BUT NOW….IF YOU are In Christ! That’s how it works!

The Main reason for this erroneous understanding of Paul’s writings is the abandonment of Bible Repentance in the churches and among the pastors. Finding someone today who will Sight a Repentance of Forsaking and Clearing of sin, resulting in Purity of heart and CHANGE of Conduct, is IMPOSSIBLE!
Therefore since they are brining the vast majority of converts into the faith still ‘in their sins , they are FORCED to find Biblical support for the bondage. Thus Rom7, 1Tim1, 1John1 all serve that purpose!
Just Understand where they coming from and the Fallacy of their Doctrines will be exposed by the Light of Truth. Sin doesn’t have a leg to stand on in Scripture, unless you ‘invent’ a notion to support it.

Click HERE to read the Pre-Augustinian interpretation of Romans 7.

1 comment:

  1. It's always been amazing to me how people can believe that Paul was calling himself the worst sinner on the planet, while being filled with the Holy Spirit and writing the bible.

    ReplyDelete